Tuesday 30 August 2022

Holiday - return home

Sunday 28th: last day in Scotland. As the winds had changed to a NE, during the morning we went back to Kilminning (Fife Ness) with 'drift migrants' in mind; however, the bush bashing in that area produced little, but the sea made up for it: sooty(s), manx, tufted duck, odd skua, and puffins etc. A great finish to a memorable time. 

Later on, I had a walk near where I was staying in the Stirling area (Bridge of Allan) in the pleasant warm conditions - a really picturesque part of Scotland. 



Monday 29th: left Scotland early doors. Stopped at Redcar around 9am to see the Greater Sand plover - but dipped - but my time there was somewhat limited as I still had a five-hour journey in front of me - but still a bit galling to see all the twitchers lined up knowing they were looking at said bird just as I was driving away! That's life. Back home on the IOW at 19:30. 

Tuesday 30th: feeling inspired I didn't waste much time getting back to my patch on Ventnor Downs, early morning, including a session from the 'raptor' mound; but most noticeable was how quiet it was; I'd gotten used to hearing the almost constant calls of Tree pipits, meadow pipits etc of the past fortnight...This was deathly quiet in comparison. However, one bop provided some interest, a ringtail Harrier sp. drifted low and into view, but views I had of it were not enough to iD it with confidence. Also, eight Ravens moving over and northwards was a great sight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blyth's Reed Warbler (Ventnor Downs)

Heard another vocal 'acro' this morning ( 26/06 ), along Bonchurch Road (north side of Nansen Hill, Ventnor Downs) at around 08:45am...