Thursday 24 March 2016

Spring firsts..

Always nice to see your first returning common migrants. On my first day off of my second holiday period, and with the weather looking to change imminently, I thought I'd head to the west wight.

Whilst driving along the middle road towards Freshwater, cruising seemingly along side me was a hirundine - my first swallow of the year. Possibly my earliest one too. I also caught up with some wheatears on west high down, all male ones, on a date that it is quite late for me - I'll blame my recent cold that put me out of action for a bit for that anomaly. Otherwise pretty quiet. Winds are changing to more southerly soon though....







Lepus europaeus - hare - seen from the middle road/west Wight




northern wheatear - back from Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blyth's Reed Warbler (Ventnor Downs)

Heard another vocal 'acro' this morning ( 26/06 ), along Bonchurch Road (north side of Nansen Hill, Ventnor Downs) at around 08:45am...