Thursday 16 August 2018

Road trip

Day 1: Goole (Yorks & Humber) was my first destination and overnight stop. As Blacktoft sands is close by, and as a buff-breasted sandpiper had been there 'showing well' the day before at least, I duly paid it a visit; but... it had gone.
If I have found out anything about myself during this trip it is that I am probably the worst at twitching.

Day2: Undeterred the following morning I decided to try and twitch another 'local' rare before making the second part of the journey to Scotland: a franklin's gull had been knocking about; but.. ... it had relocated to a field away from the area I'd visited called Scaling dam where it had also been frequenting. Dip 2.
So it goes.

Day 3: First proper day in Scotland with fine and pleasant conditions, me and the bro headed up to somewhere close to Aviemore with a couple of targets in mind: crested tit and parrot/Scottish crossbill. We heard crossbills (probably common though) and saw and heard crested tits - job done really. Also tree pipits heard going over.
The second part of the day was spent in different areas, which understandably I have to be considerately vague about; but the highlight was seeing a soaring golden eagle for about 15mins or so. Plus another one of my favourite raptors was also seen too.

Day 4: The weather had deteriorated somewhat. What else to do but to sea watch. So in the afternoon we did a sea watch from a place called Kinghorn and had nice views of terns, skuas etc.
The highlight was two roseate terns (ad & juv) passing by quite close. Plus many common and a few arctic terns. Puffins, manxies, and arctic skuas also seen.

 
 
 
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blyth's Reed Warbler (Ventnor Downs)

Heard another vocal 'acro' this morning ( 26/06 ), along Bonchurch Road (north side of Nansen Hill, Ventnor Downs) at around 08:45am...