Wednesday 25 April 2018

Luccombe hoopoe and the Belem

One reported near Haddon's pit. As it's been a few years since I last saw one - I went to have a look. It was feeding quite happily on a tennis court. Nice area.





 
 
More for my brother/family than anyone; but whilst sea watching off St. Cath's a ship was moving east past the point. It looked familiar? But it was horribly into the sunlight. I took some photos but soon went back to sea watching. But as the sea watching was quiet, I gave it a second look: it was facing west this time and I could see the flag and it was French? The only ship of such design with three masts that I know of (and I don't know many ships I'll be honest) is the Belem. So I checked on a tracker site and sure enough it was the Belem, aka FantomeII, a ship that many moons ago was captained by our great grandfather. Now a training ship. It was heading for Dieppe.
 


 
 
1933
 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blyth's Reed Warbler (Ventnor Downs)

Heard another vocal 'acro' this morning ( 26/06 ), along Bonchurch Road (north side of Nansen Hill, Ventnor Downs) at around 08:45am...